PRIMARY FUNCTION: Reimbursement Specialist is responsible for analyzing the billing process to determine appropriateness in payment (reimbursement). This position manages all components of claims processing including: 1) coordination of disputed, rejected, and delayed claims, and 2) to problem solve and review returned, disputed or rejected claims from Government and other third party Payers. Additionally, this position is responsible for communicating with billers regarding coding processes to prevent future denials.
REPORTS TO: Revenue Cycle Manager
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB: (This list may not include all of the duties that may be assigned.)
1. Processes correspondence related to assigned contracted and/or non-contracted insurance carriers including self-pay accounts.
2. Researches denied and improperly processed claims by contacting assigned carriers to ensure proper processing of said claims. Call and check claim status, work A/R and insurance carrier reports, and insurance denials. Verifies insurance eligibility / PCP / patient benefits to reconcile denied claims.
3. Identifies and corrects any claim processing errors due to data entry, verification, coding and/or posting. Add or update insurance carriers into practice management system. Review the Financial Class and the Insurance Group and verify that they are in the correct financial reporting groups.
4. Resubmits improperly paid/denied claims to the carrier for proper payment in a timely manner.
5. Monitor payer payment policies (bundling process) for each carrier to ensure guidelines are followed.
6. Responsible for validating appeal opportunities, creating appeal letters, generating and submitting individual and/or batch appeals in a timely manner, tracking appeals and recoveries. Follow up on outstanding appeals, and work closely with the appropriate teams to validate contracts.
7. Communicate and escalate denial trends, short payments, or payer policies to Management.
8. Other various duties as assigned, including cross training in other functional areas.
Adhere to all organizational information security policies and protect all sensitive information including but not limited to ePHI and PHI in accordance with organizational policy, Federal, State, and local regulations.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
Lift/Carry 20 lbs. or less
Push/Pull 12 lbs. or less
Other Physical Requirements
Sense of Sound
Sense of Touch
EDUCATION: High school diploma/GED or equivalent.
EXPERIENCE: Minimum of 1 year of insurance/collection experience in a medical environment preferred.