Alcohol & Drug Lead Counselor - Anaheim- job post
Education & Certificates
Full Job Description
Become part of a dedicated team member at The Salvation Army!
We are immediately hiring a Alcohol & Drug Lead Counselor at our Anaheim ARC. This is an excellent opportunity to get a start or improve your career.
Together we can continue to serve and impact our local community while contributing to the success of our Adult Rehabilitation Program. If you are friendly, hard-working, and enjoy helping others then apply to The Salvation Army.
For more information on this position, please read below:
- Certified Alcohol and Drug Counselor or Bachelors’ degree plus 3 years work/volunteer experience in the substance abuse field.
- 1-year experience teaching or presenting material pertaining to Rehabilitation from addiction.
- Valid Driver’s License and Clean MVR
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office programs, MSWord, Excel, and Access with ability to learn additional software as appropriate.
- Age 21 or above
- Excellent organizational skills with attention to detail.
- Ability to make critical decisions and work with minimal supervision
- Ability to track multiple tasks efficiently, completing each in a professional and timely fashion.
- Professional judgment and integrity in holding in confidence all information pertaining to beneficiaries, families and co-workers.
- Commitment to support and apply the philosophy and goals of The Salvation Army Adult Rehabilitation Center Program and the ARC Mission Statement.
- Active Christian worldview.
- If in recovery, must have 3 years of continuous sobriety.
- No evidence of existing chemical dependency.
- Per California State Public Health Order dated August 5, 2021, the person hired for this position will be required to receive either the single dose COVID vaccine by September 30, 2021 or the second dose of the 2-dose COVID vaccine by September 30th, unless there is an approved medical or religious exemption on file.
- Ability to sit, walk, stand, bend, squat, climb, kneel or twist on an intermittent or continuous basis
- Ability to grasp, push, pull objects such as files, file cabinet drawers, and other office equipment
- Ability to communicate clearly on the telephone
- Ability to lift up to 30 lbs.
- Ability to perform various repetitive motion tasks
Under the direction of the Center Administrator the Lead Counselor is responsible for managing the Program staff providing the counseling care and education that is directly provided to beneficiaries. As a team member in the Rehabilitation area, she/he promotes a climate for effective performance and learning through her/his attitudes, willingness to teach and learn and availability to beneficiaries and staff. Encouragement is given to the individual to continue to seek experience and training, which will enhance her/his ability to work, more effectively with those who seek Salvation Army services. Recommended Reading: My Brother, New Frontier, War Cry, Year Book.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
A. PERSONNEL AND STAFFING
1. Recruit adequate staff for each program need in cooperation with the ARC HR coordinator, and in
accordance with ARC and TSA policies
2. Recruit, train, and utilize community volunteers appropriately and effectively.
3. Hold weekly program meetings to assure communication and team support.
B. INTAKE OPERATIONS
1. Ensure intake operations are developed and operated with ARC standards.
2. Ensure all paperwork and data entry is performed as dictated by ARCC and conform with local requirements
1. Ensure curriculum is compliant with ARC standards
2. Ensure appropriate teaching objectives and outlines are utilized
3. Ensure appropriate teachers are recruited for all classes
4. Ensure one-on-one counseling (minimum bi-weekly) and group process counseling (weekly) is done
D. INTERN PROGRAM
1. Network with local colleges and universities to recruit interns
2. Adequately train interns
3. Either supervise and/or find supervisor consultant to provide appropriate supervision of interns
4. Assign counseling and teaching assignments to each intern
1. Assist beneficiaries to understand and overcome social and emotional problems through individual and process group counseling.
2. Keep beneficiary files current with proper documentation of counseling and class activities for those
3. Develop individual Rehabilitation Plans for beneficiaries seen in counseling.
4. Assist assigned beneficiaries in preparation for 3 and 5-month reviews.
5. Conduct Christian education classes as assigned.
6. Lead other groups or classes.
7. Teach classes in the program’s educational component.
8. Attend weekly Case Conference and provide input to discussion as helpful.
9. Provide and maintain counseling statistics for monthly Program reports.
10. Document and maintain appropriate Progress Notes in beneficiary files.
11. Assess spiritual needs of beneficiaries seen in counseling and make referrals to Chaplain as needed.
12. Attend at least one Wednesday night chapel service each month.
13. Serve as back-up to other counselors as needed.
14. Support other staff of the Program Department as able.
15. Monitor Overtime. All overtime must be approved by Administrator or their designee.
F. OTHER DUTIES
1. Cooperate and coordinate with the Administrator to mutually develop the most successful program.
2. Ensure program department remains compliant with ARCC review standards.
3. Travel to events both in the area and in the territory
4. Perform other duties as assigned by the ARC Administrator.
THE SALVATION ARMY MISSION STATEMENT
The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian Church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is to preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.