Substance Abuse Counselor- job post
Experience & Skills
Education & Certificates
substance abuse counseling: 1 year (Preferred)
certified or registered addiction counselor (Preferred)
US work authorization (Preferred)
Full Job Description
Schedule for this position will be 5:30am-2:00pm Monday-Friday.
The Counselor position provides professional chemical dependency counseling, treatment and other recovery-related services in an outpatient setting.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct intake and assessment of patients to determine level of care needed through diagnostic tools, toxicity level and assessment of special needs and client history
- Conduct patient orientation
- Work collaboratively with the patient and appropriate others to develop a comprehensive treatment plan that addresses priority needs of the patient, desired treatment outcomes, an agreed upon plan of action, and reassessment
- Coordinates with service providers and community resources needed for the patient and family members;
- Provide direct counseling in group or one-on-one sessions
- Develop and conduct education and crisis-intervention sessions for patient’s family and significant others
- Maintaining patient records related to screening, intake, treatment, continuing care, progress toward goals and objectives, discharge summary, and treatment outcomes that are accurate, concise, timely, and useful for coordinating treatment team planning, monitoring, and review
- Develop and facilitate discharge and aftercare planning
- Enter and reconcile daily billing charges
- Maintain a safe, secure and healthy work environment by following procedures and complying with legal regulations.
- Conduct daily activities with sensitivity to our patient’s cultural and socioeconomic characteristics.
- Update job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities, reading professional publications, and attending in-house trainings
- Participate in Quality Improvement activities as required
- Comply with the organization’s Personnel Code of Conduct
- Perform all other duties as assigned
Qualifications & Experience
- Excellent customer service and phone etiquette
- Experience and training in crisis intervention and drug abuse
- Thorough knowledge of addictions, dual diagnosis, and 12-step programs treatment planning
- Knowledge of chemical dependency signs, treatment planning techniques and response protocol
- Ability to maintain effective and organized systems to ensure timely patient flow
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to manage aggressive and/or violent patients by defusing hostile or violent behavior
- Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations
- Ability to be patient, caring and compassionate
- Ability to work as a team player
- Basic knowledge of MS Words and Excel
- Bilingual in English and Spanish preferred
- Demonstrate awareness and value of cultural competence
- Certification or registration with a Certified Board of Chemical Dependency Counselors
- Current CPR certification
- Stand or Sit: Constantly sits in an office chair. Must beable to remain in a stationary position 80% of the time.
- Walk: Occasionally move about inside the office to accessfile cabinets, office machinery, etc.
- Use of hands & fingers: Constantly operates a computerand other office machinery, such as a copy machine and printers. Repetitivemovements of hand and fingers for typing and writing.
- Talk or Hear: Constantly communicates with patients andstaff. Must be able to express oneself and exchange accurate information inthese situations.
- See: Must be able to visually identify, observe and assess.
- Reaching or Lifting: Seldom reaching for or lifting of itemsin storage locations, such as copying paper, files, office supplies, etc.
- Neck Motion: Frequent movement while performing all dutiesas described above.
Vaccination and Testing Requirements
- Employees are required to adhere to all mandates, public health orders, and regulations (including those related to vaccination and communicable disease testing) as required by any federal, state, or local authority, or any agency with jurisdiction over Evexia Health Services.
Evexia Health Services will make reasonable accommodation to our work environment that allows a qualified individual with a disability to satisfactorily perform this particular job
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
This job description is subject to change at any time.
Job Type: Full-time
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- Addiction Medicine
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- substance abuse counseling: 1 year (Preferred)
- certified or registered addiction counselor (Preferred)
Work Location: One location