reatment Counselor- job post
Experience & Skills
Education & Certificates
Full Job Description
McKinley: Youth, Family, and Community are what we are all about! We offer a great working environment and benefits package! McKinley encourages growth so that you can Be your Best H.U.M.A.N.
At McKinley employees share a set of guiding principles: We embrace a culture that is H*opeful, Understanding, Moral, Awesome, N*urturing. - H.U.M.A.N.
The Company: McKinley is a highly respected welfare organization with a comprehensive array of programs and services – which touch nearly 1,800 lives annually – include short term residential treatment program (STRTP), Foster Care, Adoptions, Mental Health Services, and Special Education. McKinley has 5 locations throughout southern California with our main campus located in San Dimas. We embrace a culture that is H.U.M.A.N.- H*opeful, Understanding, Moral, Awesome, Nurturing. McKinley has created a Hopeful environment, in which we choose optimism in finding the motivation to achieve our greatest dreams. We are a team dedicated to Understanding individual needs and do so by listening and embracing each individual’s stories. We strongly embrace our agency’s Morals by treating everyone with kindness and respect. At McKinley, we acknowledge our team member’s and clients’ Awesome qualities by celebrating what makes each individual unique. We are dedicated to N*urturing a Trauma-Informed Integrated Care approach that has created a unique culture within the organization. We celebrate diversity by our commitment to cultivating an inclusive and affirming environment for all.
The Position: We are looking for a Treatment Counselor, who is willing to embrace McKinley’s mission and H.U.M.A.N values. The Treatment Counselor is responsible for providing professional Child Care Services in a culturally sensitive, trauma informed manner while serving as a positive role model.
Schedule: Sunday - Wednesday 1PM - 11PM
Compensation and Benefits:
The pay range we’re offering is $16.25 - $20.00 per hour depending on experience.
Our people are the heart of our organization, which is why we offer robust benefits to support your health and wellness as well as your personal and financial well-being.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance- we offer a company defined contribution of $525/month
- Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Paid Time Off
- Sick Time
- Paid Holidays
- 403(b) retirement plan with company match up to 3%
- Employee Assistance Program
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Employee Referral Bonus
- Credit Union Membership
- Training Opportunities to Further Personal and Professional Growth
Must have one of the following:
- Bachelor of Arts or Sciences Degree
- Valid Child Development Teaching Permit
- Completion of 12 semester units of Early Childhood Education, Adolescent Development, or Foster and Kinship Care Education and have at least 100 hours of experience working with youth
- Valid certificate as an Alcohol Counselor, Drug Counselor or Alcohol and Drug Counselor, and have at least 100 hours of experience working with youth
- Valid Vocational Training certificate, credential or documentation demonstrating that the individual is a trade journeyperson who instructs children in vocational skills and have at least 100 hours of experience working with youth
- Previously been employed as a staff or volunteer at a group home or STRTP for at least one year.
- Have relevant experience as determined by CDSS to meet any of the above requirements.
Other Skills Required
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) and other office-related software
- Possess superior oral and written communication skills as well as interpersonal skills
- Detail oriented and organized
- Able to work independently and organize multiple projects with minimum supervision
- Able to work as a team member
- Able to maintain the highest level of confidentiality and professional boundaries with clients and staff
- Able represent the agency professionally and appropriately with all constituencies
- Must pass pre-employment physical exam, TB and drug screening
- Ability to drive to various sites on and off campus
- Ability to bend, stoop, and kneel
- Ability to physically restrain children (if needed)
- Constant supervision, protection and care of children, individually and in groups at all times in a manner consistent with their personal rights, to ensure safety within a trauma informed framework.
- Work as a part of the treatment team to help children in the development of various skills including social, vocational, educational, hygiene and other skills.
- Notation of the child’s progress and identifying the possible need for additional services and communicating those findings to the Unit Manager.
- Reporting to Unit Manager and/or those designated as Facility Managers any problems and/or recommendations.
- In collaboration with the treatment team and Child and family team (CFT), develop and implement various activities for the children.
- Administer appropriate discipline and limit setting for behaviors.
- Utilizing acquired training skills, provide crisis intervention including the use of physical restraints if needed.
- Dispense medications as directed when indicated.
- Interact with the children’s family and other significant persons in a helpful, therapeutic and non-judgmental manner.
- Complete all required documentation in a legible, professional, and timely manner.
- Successfully complete all required training and attend/participate in required meetings.
- Assist in the orientation and training of new Treatment counselors.
- Other related duties as assigned to ensure health and safety of the children.
Why Should You Apply?
- Our Mission- work for an organization that makes a real difference in people’s lives
- Competitive pay
- Several benefit options
- Employee tuition reimbursement
- Great training for staff
Join McKinley to Be Your Best H.U.M.A.N.
McKinley’s response to COVID-19: The safety of the families, children, clients we serve as well as our valued team members is our priority. We want to make sure everyone at McKinley feels safe and welcomed. We are taking all the necessary precautions and safety measures to maintain a safe environment throughout our different locations. We are providing PPE to our team members and visitors along with practicing social distancing measures.
Job Type: Full-time